Wednesday, September 07, 2005

UiTm Vice Chancellor Cup


This being my first time adjudicating in a tournament, I must say it was a good experience. I almost felt that adjudicating is far better than debating itself; but, nah, I think debating is always better. This is because when you adjudicate, and you get a team that doesn’t know what the heck they are saying, you just feel like standing up & giving them a P.O.I., which you cannot do when you are an adjudicator. Having an AIDA 1 is pretty good; I need to sit for another adjudicating test soon to go up a level. Oh, and I almost forgot, I chaired most of the preliminary rounds and had a chance to adjudicate for the semis & finals, too. Being ‘hakim jemputan’, Sharma gave Sheena & I the honor to choose a motion for the prelim. Of, course, being the medical students that we are, we agreed on the motion: “ THBT substance abusers should not be entitled to organ transplant”. Which is where the whole story starts.
As round 5 began, I dreaded the facts that I am going to get from the novices. The Opening Government set a mechanism, stating all drug abuser cannot get a transplant but can do so after the 3rd screening. They also claimed that cocaine and heroin causes cerebral haemorrhage and hence, should not be transplanted. The brain.
Then, later, comes the genius 2nd speaker of the Opening opposition who just brought them clearly to the last place. To quote:
“ Drug abusers are humans too. Although they take drugs, their heart is neutral. Just say for example, a guy was stabbed in the heart, and taken to the hospital. The doctor in duty won’t have fresh hearts to transplant into this patient who got stabbed in the heart. So he is going to have to take the heart of the drug abusers to transplant. Then, once in the patient, the heart will become neutral and the patient can live”
This is a total deviation from the motion and I found it so hilarious. I’m sure the drug abuser will be so happy that he donated his one and only heart for another patient…Nobel…

Anyway, bitching aside, I think the tournament was ok. I took note of some newbies whom I debated with before, and it occurred to me that these debaters really grew, and can be lethal. We, IMU debaters so need to train!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogging Shelter from the Storm
It's Friday, which means it's Katrina telethon day. For those who haven't given yet , now is the perfect time to break out those credit cards.
Some great info here!
If you have a few minutes come and check out my
targeted traffic site.
It pretty much covers how to get some targeted traffic .

10:30 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home