Thursday, November 10, 2005

As I awake..

As I sit and write this, the racket being made by the semester 1s celebrating somebody’s birthday at the Vista C swimming pool transmits into my room. They are so loud, if I'm not wrong, I think it’s Jack’s birthday, whoever that person is. Burst of their laughter as how the burst of ACTH will occur causing peaks of cortisol levels in my blood right now (as I am way pass my bed time) brings back flashbacks of when I was in semester 1 ages ago… *thinks deeply about the fun times*

As compared to the others, I don’t think that semester one was the only time I had fun. I do agree that it was probably the best time, but, I had my fair share of fun during all semesters, even, yes, even semester 5. Trust me, you can actually have fun in semester 5, and of course there is a price to pay for that very same fun. (I’m feeling the pinch right now, and if I may add, this is one HARD pinch!). When you are in Sem 5, people think you are ½ doctor, but they expect you to know everything. They come around asking specific things, and clinical test that are of no relevance, and when I go huh? What’s that? They go like, “hey, you’re sem 5, you’re suppose to know”. Gee…*rolls eyes*. Ok, never mind the bitching..

At the Seremban Hospital today…

I met some of my Sem 9 seniors (boy, am I glad I made friends with Sem 5s when I was in Sem 1) and they are just so nice. Just questioned them about housing, life back there and all….Seems pretty ok…Also met some other younger seniors, grueling them to try to remember what came out for the sem 5 EOS, well, they did pretty much help. Meeting all of them made me feel less worried about going to Seremban next year. They are all (at least the ones I know) so nice, warm and fuzzy, and I know they will be there to help me then. Yay!! I will be a ‘junior’ again next year!!! It’s fun to be a junior, once in a while!! Yippie!! But then again, there are some of those seniors who have facial paralysis of some sort, because they can never, ever, smile or give you a kind gesture of acknowledgment. Or maybe they just had a bad day getting all pissed upon by the Senior Clinical lecturers there. Felix (clinical school student) just could not stop complaining about the lecturers and how they yell at you in the wards. *shiver*

But I know that wont happen to me =)


Then again, clinical school got me thinking about how would I really cope there. I never really had problems coping but, in the clinical school:


-I’m going to be standing for hours in the ward during ward teaching (sigh)
-Going to have to live through the weird hospital smell since I’m going to be taking multiple histories and performing physical examination in the wards
-Going to have to read up on so so so many stuff including the dreaded Pharmacology (yucks!) just to do well
-Gonna have to buck up on my Tamil and coerce Jenny and Kenneth to teach me Chinese
-Going to have great emotional turmoil when I see the really debilitated patients (like the malnourished boy I saw today) – this will be the hardest, handling my emotions!
-Run the possibility of being separated from my friends, since we will be assigned into different groups…
-And of course, live through all those sad, grumpy ol’ faces of the nurses, and the expressionless zombies ( the seniors who have no life).

Then again. Despite all this, I know I’m going to have so much (hard) fun next year… Night rounds, talking to patients, studying, autopsies, The New Starbucks in Seremban….- like I said, it’s not only in Semester 1 that you have fun....

Can’t wait!

Oh, before I forget, saw a rare case in the Hospital today, a case of Guillain Barre syndrome.. hmm….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home